« Home | The Early Morning! » | Rant: aarrgghh!! » | **wwwwhhheeeewwwww* » | 6 / 6 / 6 » | Ad News: Inbox thinking out of the box! » | Pakistan on the way to prosperity! Posting a growt... » | Eight Keys To Success! » | On headache's... » | Generation Gap and Fusion » | How much 'Chai Paani' ?? »


Beating Cellphone Harrasment

A number of girls/women i know have been harrassed at sometime or the other by miscreants getting hold of their numbers and trying the 'aap mujh say dosti karein gee' game. While i think many girls/women may welcome such call's and even know how to work them, a number of those affected do not wish to get them. A cell is a 'personal' device, and as such, should be used for personal things!

The Prophetess (another pakistani blogger) posted this on her blog A Lust For Life sometime earlier titled "Kulsoom & CPLC: Beating Harrasment Together!" which i'd like to share with everyone. She describes how, together with the Citizen Police Liason Committee (CPLC), she thwarted a very incessant and irritating caller from harassing her by calling her at all times of day / night.

I'll quote some passages from her post here, for the entire thing, please visit her blog.
I called up Rescue 115. The dispatcher on the other side was ready for
gun & smoke action. He was disappointed at the report; but I
persisted for help. He asked me to get to CPLC – Citizen Police Liaison
Committee. I called 17 and got CPLC’s contact. Then I called CPLC –
never getting tired of the trail.

The CPLC told me they indeed deal with matters of harassment, and the process was to make a written complaint. I got their web address,
and got on to beat crime together. Using the contact form, I sent an
email with accurate details (misreporting is serious, and just below
ethics). Within about ten minutes, I got a call from a gentleman who
surveyed the situation. He has told me to send in a written application
which will be used to send a verified complaint to the cellular network
of the harasser. We briefly discussed the harassment situation in
general. He told me that in cases similar to mine, they would normally
give a warning call from CPLC to the guilty party. Failing heed, the
party’s phone would be blocked. If there was actual threat (i.e. the
caller made a threat to life, honor, money, etc.) it would be dealt
with accordingly. I didn’t press for details on this one.

Shortly
afterwards, I got an apology on SMS [from the harrasser]: suddenly I was Dear Sister, and
not Kulsoom. I replied that he must explain to the police who’d be very
interested in the details. He called, and it was a near whimper that he
pleaded in. It was not him, but his friend, he explained

Sponsored Links

My recent posts on Karachi Metblogs

My comments on other blogs

Powered by:
CoComment

Latest Posts in the Pakistani Blogosphere

Powered by:

Blogs I Read

Get the feed..

Buttons & Such

Creative Commons License

The text of this Blog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Locations of visitors to this page