« Home | Following in our neighbours footsteps? A taxi issue » | Indiscriminate Discrimination !! » | Review of MSN Dating Article: 6 secret guy turn ons » | Cellphone Snatchings in the City of Karachi » | Childhood memories... » | I want a Freeware Utility to ... 450+ common probl... » | Interesting News: Chineese women going thru a change » | Criminal Activities at a local Blood Testing Labor... » | The (Good) Power of the Media » | PTCL to Mobile Calling Charges reduced by 24% »


The benefits of a Helmet !

I havent heard any such thing on the local news scene lately, and i wonder why it doesnt make it here. A mumbai resident's life was sparred because he took the precaution of wearing a helmet on his way back home from work. An excerpt from the article reads as follows

Wearing a helmet saved 32-year-old call centre executive Amit Gupta’s life. Gupta survived a near fatal accident on Sunday, when a sports car threw him and his bike metres away.

“Had I not worn my helmet, I would have died on the spot,” said Gupta, who blessed his stars for the lucky escape. Gupta received a few abrasions on his back, and will remain bedridden for few days.
This article reminded me of the times my father used to drive a motorbike in his youth, and how many times had escaped great bodily harm due to use of a helmet. I appeal to the news sources in Pakistan to atleast make a note of the survivors of various accidents instead of just reporting the dead! This piece, if nothing else, has given me the impetus to wear a helmet if ever on a bike. (I have a car, so it doesnt apply to me personally. lol)

On another note, recently there was a Mandatory Helmet law enacted in various parts of the country, including karachi. As with all matters of this regard, it was blatantly mis-used by both shopkeepers and the authorities. Currently, the Traffic Police in Karachi is implementing anti-pollution campaign by removing polluting vehicles from the road (and lining their pockets in the process none-the-less), previously it was fining cars with Tinted windows and subsequently scratching the glass in the process of partially removing the tints, which was cited as a security risk (while also lining their pockets). In the meanwhile... they use the Traffic Violation Ticket as a means to harrass and (say it with me!!!) line their pockets!

Sponsored Links

My recent posts on Karachi Metblogs

My comments on other blogs

Powered by:
CoComment

Latest Posts in the Pakistani Blogosphere

Powered by:

Blogs I Read

Get the feed..

Buttons & Such

Creative Commons License

The text of this Blog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Locations of visitors to this page